how much traffic is going to my site

veryv

A glimpse of my life, travel notes, thoughts and more - Vinay Hinduja

Name:
Location: Bombay / Pune, India

Influenced by Bandra, Bombay, London. Independent, Simple, Non conformist, Democratic, Logical, Open minded, a little artistic, Easy

Tuesday, October 04, 2005

The Best Impression

Mar 2000, UK

24 kgs!!! That was all I could carry to and back from the UK, my very first trip outside of India. So I did not bring back much. But I have memories galore, all of which are priceless.

My very first impression of the British is based on my interaction with their immigration officers. I landed at the Heathrow airport after a stopover at Yemen. I waited nervously at the immigration counter, papers at hand and doubts in my head. What would they check? What will they ask? When will I get out? Hope some colleagues are waiting outside to pick me. Hmm...

When it was my turn, the lady at the counter verified my papers and asked me whether I liked to travel. I replied affirmatively and with a lot of enthusiasm. I added that this was my first trip outside India and I loved to travel.

Surprise surprise!!! She stamped my visa for a good 14 months, 2 months in addition to my work permit. She wished me well and told me to make good of the rest of my visa to see her beautiful country. I think all my fears of a new country and all my jet lag just vanished that instant and I now narrate this incident (like a good brand ambassador for the UK) to every person I meet.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home